Sunday, September 7, 2008

Day thirteen - The Final Countdown

By the time Courtney and I got up this morning (we went to bed at midnight and got up at 6:30, best sleep I've had so far), Alex had already left. After a slow breakfast and last minute packing of toiletries, we were ready to go. Wakterwas staying over till Monday, as was Armand, who came round the house just in time to say goodbye. Ariela, Hannah, and Courtney were all on the same flight, and mine left 15 minutes before theirs, so we all left together.

I will reiterate that the vaporetto is a wonderfully majestic way to travel. Aside from the smell of the canals and the occasionally rocking from a cruise ship, it is one of the coolest ways to travel. Getting up and going to work via boat made me feel good every morning, and I'll miss that. I went in a water taxi just once this trip (when picking up Lika Minamoto from the airport), but I have a great love for public transit all the same.

We were lucky: just as we bought our bus tickets to the airport (Marco Polo Airport is on mainland Italy, and a 20 minute drive from Piazza le Roma) the bus wooshed us away. Upon checking in at separate stations, we met up with Mary inside. Mary was on the same flight as the others, but lived in the Dude Ranch, so we just met there. My flight was called first (obviously) so I left them at around 12:45.

The flight has been uneventful so far, other than a child who started screaming just before take off and would not be comforted until she was able to see her mother 20 minutes later (she was seated with her father). I a currently amusing myself by righting my penultimate blog entry and composing emails to people I met at Venice.

I avoided the two films that played on this trip. After the Venice Film Festival, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian and Kung Fu Panda just don't cut it. Happy to be coming home, but sad that I won't see the people I met here for a while.

No comments: